The Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Wa, Most Rev. Bishop Richard Kuuia Baawobr, has been made Cardinal of the Catholic Church.
He is among 21 new Cardinals announced by Pope Francis.
According to Reuters, Pope Francis will install the 21 men as Roman Catholic cardinals at a ceremony known as a consistory on Aug. 27.
Below are the 21 new cardinals
1. Archbishop Arthur Roche (British) – Prefect of the Vatican Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
2. Archbishop Lazzaro You Heung-sik (South Korean) – Prefect of the Vatican Congregation for the Clergy
3. Archbishop Fernando Vérgez Alzaga (Spanish) – President of the Pontifical Commission for Vatican City State and President of the Governorate for Vatican City State
4. Archbishop Jean-Marc Aveline – Metropolitan Archbishop of Marseille, France
5. Bishop Peter Okpaleke – Bishop of Ekwulobia, Nigeria
6. Archbishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner – Metropolitan Archbishop of Manaus, Brazil
7. Archbishop Filipe Neri António Sebastião di Rosário Ferrão – Archbishop of Goa and Damão, India
8. Bishop Robert Walter McElroy – Bishop of San Diego, California, United States
9. Archbishop Virgilio Do Carmo Da Silva – Archbishop of Dili, East Timor
10. Bishop Oscar Cantoni – Bishop of Como, Italy
11. Archbishop Anthony Poola – Archbishop of Hyderabad, India
12. Archbishop Paulo Cezar Costa – Metropolitan Archbishop of Brasília, Brazil
13. Bishop Richard Kuuia Baawobr – Bishop of Wa, Ghana
14. Archbishop William Goh Seng Chye – Archbishop of Singapore
15. Archbishop Adalberto Martínez Flores – Metropolitan Archbishop of Asunción, Paraguay
16. Archbishop Giorgio Marengo (Italian) – Apostolic Prefect of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
New cardinals over 80:
1. Archbishop Jorge Enrique Jiménez Carvajal – Archbishop Emeritus of Cartagena, Colombia
2. Archbishop Lucas Van Looy – Archbishop Emeritus of Gent, Belgium
3. Archbishop Arrigo Miglio – Archbishop Emeritus of Cagliari, Italy
4. Fr. Gianfranco Ghirlanda, S.J. – Professor of Theology
5. Msgr. Fortunato Frezza – Canon of Saint Peter’s Basilica
About Bishop Richard Kuuia Baawobr
Bishop Richard Kuuia Baawobr, was born on June 21, 1959 and ordained as a priest on July 18, 1987.
On May 7, 2016, he was ordained as Bishop for the Wa Diocese.
He becomes the third Ghanaian bishop after Cardinal Peter Appiah Turkson and the late Cardinal Peter Porekuu Dery to be made a Cardinal.